Catch Up Part 1 - A Year Being Freelance
After a year of the podcast Being Freelance... what's that 12 months actually been like being freelance for our very first guests?
In this, the first of two special end of year episodes, Steve Folland chats to photographer Tom Miles, designer Liz Elcoate and audio producer Chris Hollis. Their challenges, their changes, their epiphanies, their year being freelance.
Take a listen and also check out their original episodes, links below.
Don't forget to subscribe via iTunes and the Podcast app for iPhone etc and also via Stitcher who have an Android app, or scroll down and download from here - If you like the podcast, please do leave a review if you get a chance.
Here’s some of the key takeaway points:
- break down your bigger goals in to manageable tasks
- make the most of your work: don’t keep it to yourself, share it on your blog, your social channels
- Tom worked with a coach to help improve his business
- optimising your site SEO wise really can help bring in leads
- don’t feel like you have to impress your peers… aim to impress your clients
- don’t forget to keep lining up the leads
- His ‘sudden’ success of doing TV ads has actually been something he’s been plugging away at for years, so if you really believe in something, stick with it!
- His email marketing strategy is now aimed less at ‘cold’ leads and more at sharing his work with other clients
- Taking on his first proper employee has freed him up from business tasks that weren’t his strongest role, to concentrate on his creative strengths
Who the hell is Steve Folland?
You know how everyone bangs on about how powerful video and audio content can be? Yeah, well Steve helps businesses make it and make the most of it. Find out more at www.stevefolland.com Track him down on Twitter @sfolland or lay a trail of cake and he'll eventually catch you up.